Monday, 26 January 2009

January 19-20, 2009: First day of classes

I woke up early today so I could go to capa and schedule classes and sign up for classes. The line was ridiculously long and so unorganized. Ahhh. But I got though it, we were not be able to sign up for the Oxford trip but we are doing the Jack the Ripper Tour. Which I am excited for! My classes were able to be switched, which is great, because now I do not have classes on Monday or Friday. We also got our money stipends of 40 pounds, which I am going to be frugal with. Mom says there are like food stamps, which I agree. Haha. Otherwise for the rest of the day, I just hung out at the coffee shop for a while and took care of some online business. After, I also sat at home, and went grocery shopping, because the Brits are lazy and close everything super early. I don’t get it either, because this is a major city with tons of tourist traps, they should all be open until later. So now we need to plan out schedule around earlier times, because pretty much after 5:50 everything is closed. Expect the outside buildings, which will be fun to see, but it is tooooo cold out for that right now! I was irked that they play the Simpson’s in London. Out of all the shows on American television they play that one. How horrible. That show is ridiculous, you think they would have more common sense and class than to play that show. We ended up watching the British famed show big brother, which was so boring and a teen drama. I just feel that British television is so cheesy and fake, like it is stuck in the old days. Though, I do like the BBC, like Breakfast, which is their version of the morning show. It is all very interesting. It is so weird that they do not add as much sugar to everything. This is probably a good thing, but it is not as a tasty, or it just taste different, but I guess they are much healthier. Like the honey nut cheerios taste different, it is not bad, I am even growing a fondness to them. They are ok, I enjoy them, but they have an awkward taste. Oh well, maybe I will learn to not like as much sugary food. I will never complain about going to class the UMN ever again, because it is way more difficult here. We have it so easy. Riding the tube gets stressful, especially when you are carrying a bag and there are many people. Though, there transit is much more hygienic and there are less shady people. On Tuesday Obama was inaugurated as the new president! Thank the lord. And Chaney was in a wheel chair, haha. I ended up watching it at home, because I really did not know where everyone went, so I just stayed at home and watched it on the BBC. It was sweet because it had British commentary, and they freely, yet subtly cracked jokes about the president and Chaney. It was great. I just like the different perspective I get across the pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment