Monday, 23 February 2009

Thursday February 12, 2009 to Monday February 16, 2009 Barcelona

I was anxious all day today. It was so hard to focus, but I got through it. I got up early and went to Capa and did not last minute printing, then I went to Piccadilly circus and did some magnet shopping for Rachel’s senora. It was so gorgeous out. The sun was shinning, and it didn’t seem that cold out. Days like that are when you appreciate London. It is so hard to love something when it is cold and rainy (and snowy). But I enjoyed the weather and I can’t wait until the spring, when it will be nice all the time and everything is in bloom. We ended up having to meet in Covet Garden for popular culture. It was so gorgeous, I had never been there before and I plan to go back. Years ago, it used to be the main agriculture center for all of England, so sellers would bring all there good there, also it used to be big fine arts area. Currently, there are bunch of cute and trendy boutiques, along with street sellers. It looks so interesting and amazing. I can’t wait to go back. Down the side streets there are a bunch of used book shops, and there is even a store that sells American food like fruit loops and pop tarts. Madison and I really want to go there, it will be so much fun. Our teacher is so random, he takes us to these random places and just talks and talks. He compared acid to math, and said you get a better trip with mathematics. He also talked about the days at film school (he probably was high through all those days). In London, I never realize how close everything actually is. Covent Garden is seriously right next to Trafalgar square, which is right next to Leicester, which is right next to Piccadilly. So amazing. We went to the National Gallery, because it was supposedly too chilly, but we didn’t know what he was talking about it. It was gorgeous out, the sun was shinning. He is just way too crazy. The gallery wasn’t too bad, we saw some interesting paintings this time. It is just hilarious to hear him bash these institutions and painting, and see the workers and other peoples reaction. He just doesn’t care what people think about him at all. Which is really nice, because I think we get the best out of our education. We saw the famous picture of the pregnant women getting married in the green dress and the picture of the naked women that was slashed to pieces by a feminist. After all this we went back and ate. I got ready. The ride on the tube seemed to take forever, but I was so excited. We passed Hanslow, and all I could think of was Bend It like Beckham, it was great. I got through customs and security just fine. It was kind of nerve racking, but it wasn’t too bad. I just asked people and they were all really nice. I didn’t know what gate I was in so I asked two different people, and they were amazing. The British airlines man, told me to eat and drink as much as I want on the plane, because it is free. The flight was delayed because they were gritting one run way, because of the snow. Thank goodness to good winds, because we got there only like 20 minutes late, after waiting for like 45 minutes. We had sandwiches on the plane, ham and cheese and pickle, and tuna and corn. So good. I was at first skeptical, but they were amazing. I want one right now. I sat next to two Spanish people, one could only speak English, but we talked for a long while. It was nice to interact, but he thought that Rachel was more advanced intellectually, because she speaks another language, but I corrected him and told him I new sign. So there, suck it people, I am still enlightening part of my brain. There was this man behind me, who kept giving me a creepy eye, icky. Damn Spanish men, gross! I am not a fan. Haha! British men are so much more polite and refined. I am definitely more of an English person, it fits my personality. This is were the fiasco starts. (oh the lady on the plane said my bag probably wouldn’t fit, but ah ha, it did, I am so good). I told Rachel I was meeting her at terminal B, but I was dropped off at terminal A instead. I walked around for two hours along with attempting to use my computer which crashed three times. It was so scary, I was frustrated, so I ended up eating rach’s chocolate. Haha. After making like a thousand circles and walking to the metro, I finally found her. I just started crying. I was just frustrated. I really have rotten luck. But we were reunited. It was nice. The rocky start was ok, it was a joyous meeting. It still makes me smile, thinking about how I was such a softy. Oh well, Rachel ended up eating the chocolate she got for me too. You can so tell we are sisters. We ended up taking the buses and Metro to her place. Barcelona was so nice, the weather was comfortable, though she may beg to differ. My first impression of Barcelona was great. It is gorgeous, especially with the mountains in the back ground. It is like an upscale Caribbean Country. I loved it. The streets are old, yet they are new. It is nice. I was so nervous to met Rachel’s Senora, it seemed almost worse than meeting a Boyfriends parents. I lucked out and she wasn’t there. The apartment she lives in is so cute and quaint. It is definitely European. Of course it is small, but it has four bedrooms. Rachel’s room is nice, it even had a trundle bed, but of course we slept together instead. Rachel and I just got cleaned up, so we could go out on the town. I was so excited. We walked over to Rachel’s friend Katie’s apartment. After tons of chocolate, Magdalena’s(which are amazing muffins), and bread and jam, we went to a pre-gaming bar, where you are given the bottle of alcohol and a chaser and you make your own drink. Pretty much you just fill your drink with alcohol all the way and then just drink the chaser. The alcohol is watered down, I am pretty sure. But it still was enough to get me drunk. They also had American popcorn, Danielle is going to be jealous. Haha. It was super fun there, I met most of her friends, I definitely started opening up. Next we headed to Sutton’s and it was amazing, probably one of my best nights studying abroad. We danced the whole time, first just with the girls in the bar, and then the boys joined us and after hours we went to the dance club. It was a blast, so fun. Steve ended up showing up, I was drunk at this point and I gave him a big hug. We just all danced together, a little bit of fun/Spanish/grinding dancing. We did a lot of Janz sister sandwiches. We had a good time dancing with Erin and imitating the Chris Brown and Rhianna fiasco. After getting soaked with sweat, gross, I know, we went to the bathroom, and I dried my hair with the hand dryer. I went back out and danced the rest of the night away with Jake. Over all, it was amazing night. The dancing was just great! It still makes me smile. I just can’t wait to go back and dance my ass off. I just love it. It is so much, it is definitely something I need to do often. It is just so sexual and passionate. It makes you smile. Now that is all I am craving, is dancing. The next day we had to get up early, it was the earliest I had to get up on a Friday for class. It was ok, we got some pastries, so it was yummy. After, we went and toured the city. It is so gorgeous. We went to las ramblas and looked around at the market place. They had everything for so cheap. There was tons of fresh fruit and veggies, chocolate, bread, and meat. The meat was gross, but it was so cool, no matter how disgusting that sounds. We went to the port and walked around too. That is what you do in Barcelona, walk around. But it is the best, the weather is gorgeous and it is so nice out. I love it. I just feel so refreshed outside, the sea air and breeze. Amazing ahhhh. I love it. I just keep thinking about it. It is so different than London, so causal and fun. It is crazy at the same time relaxing. We took a traditional siesta and just wandered around town. We got ready to go, and beforehand went to Mexican restaurant with Rach’s friends. Oh my gosh, and was it good. It was perfect and it hit the spot. After we purchased wine out of a box, we headed down to the beach club scene. We didn’t exactly know where the club was, so we picked our language(English was the one) and asked a couple of boys. The club was gorgeous, it was so trendy and posh, not to mention it was located right on the ocean and you could see the beach from the deck. We got in free and also got a complementary glass of sangria. So amazing. I love sangria so much, it is my new drink of choice. We just ended up dancing, which was a blast. The boys then came and we all just danced. There was a major creeper giving me the eye and following me everywhere, so Steve rescued me. We had such fun dancing experience. It was so cute, we were doing a mix of salsa and spins. Ahhh, I miss dancing already. It was fabulous. Rach and I took a cab home, and I pretty much fell asleep in the taxi. The driver even asked about me saying why is the pretty lady so tired? He agreed on the fact that London is not as hard core as Barcelona. We got up at a good time, and headed to the beach. It was so gorgeous, and I think I got a little sun burn. I loved it. We just walked around and met up with the boys for lunch, where I experienced my first Barcelonan tuna. Yum. All four of us, Jake, Steve, Rachel, and I, headed to a palace- type thing(Rachel can you help me out) created my Goady. It was so pretty, everything was mosaic, and it had an amazing view of the city. We just chilled there and talked, while watching a little kid and a dog terrorize a flock of pigeons. It was hilarious. It was just a good time overall, really relaxing and historic. The perfect day. Rachel and I just went out, ourselves that night. It was great sister bonding time. We ate a pizza place, had tuna pizza, and drank 83 cent wine again. We then went to the Fairy bar, which was so cool. It was like being in Lord of the Rings. They had waterfalls, rocks, caverns, and greenery. It was right up my alley. We just chilled in the corner, talked and drank Sangria. So perfect. After, we headed to the shot bar, where they made the most creative shots ever. Like the Harry potter, or boy scout. Most involved fire, sugar, and fruit. It was so much fun. I really want to do the boy scout, where you roast a marshmallow. We met some Irish boys here, who bought us shots and then took us to a bar called Manchester. It was super fun, I asked them what religion they were and they were Catholics. I really have no idea why I did that. Also we talked about the band, rumblestrips, “pop music”, the south, Kansas, skiing, Tiajuna and so on. They boys bought us beer, oh how great it is to meet boys. You can pretty much go out free any night. The next we just went out and explored the Olympic area, and a gorgeous garden. We had so much fun, just the two of us. We took crazy pictures, laughed hysterically so many times. It was nice and relaxing. We just chilled, ate falafels, which were amazing. We saw the fire parade, where people had crazy fire works and walked around the tiny gothic streets. It was so cool. I wish London had culture like this or even MN or WI. It would be so much fun, and it would you something to do. This summer we are for sure hitting up all the local events in our area. After, we went and chilled on the beach. It was like a scene from a movie. We just watched the waves and talked. I really, really, really didn’t want to go home at this point. The next day we woke up early and I just sat at a cute cafĂ©, and did some homework. It was nice. After, we ate some pizza and then went to the port. We found a super cheap adorable store, where I bought two dresses. We went to the aquarium and took pictures inside of the shark’s mouth. Now, we know it is physically possible. We went back to her school and hung out with rach’s boys. It was so much fun. I was way more relaxed and actually talked. It was great. We were making plans about London and what to do there. It was nice and really miss just hanging out with boys. I was really glad that I made a last good impression. I pretty much ate my weight in chocolate croissants and chocolate in general. It was so good. I am also in love with fresh orange juice. I feel like everything is so fresh there. I can’t wait to go back. I just felt so safe and cozy there, I never felt threatened. Not that London isn’t safe, it is just so big and there is so many people. I didn’t even realize the size difference until I flew over the city on the way home. London has 12 million people total and 7 million people in the city center, compared to Barcelona’s 3 million and 1 million respectively. Only once did I worry about pick pocketing, otherwise I feel so safe. I definitely had a tainted view of Barcelona and Spain in general. But, now that has all changed. I can’t wait to go back, I feel the need to actually live on an ocean for awhile. It is just so calming. I want to study abroad again, but I don’t know where, somewhere on a beach and with Rachel. I am trying to convince her. She said maybe graduate school, which I could agree with, maybe. Also, I am having feelings that I should have study abroad with her, it would have been perfect in all ways. Oh well, there is a reason why things ended this way, now we each have a city that we can take each other too and live like locals.

ps. Rachels blog is probably way more kick ass than mine. I can't help that she is a masta blogger. It is pretty much her career, or at least the internet is. I am better at emo poetry. Oh, and this is definitely not as good as my journal, so if I like you enough(*cough, not you rachel, jk) you can maybe read it when i get home! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment